Rishikesh is one of the most important places for yoga & mediation today. So much so that today it is world renowned as Yoga capital of the world. Ancient Indian rishis and sages chose Yoga and Meditation Ashram in Rishikesh for self-contemplation and meditation. In fact, the popular British band called Beatles also chose Rishikesh to meditate and hence write several best albums thereafter. Beatles were a popular British music band that wrote many best-selling music songs. They visited Rishikesh, India in 1968 to spend some time in transcendental meditation and self-enquiry under the tutelage of their spiritual guru, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. After this soul-stirring experience, they wrote 48 songs in one week and many popular albums like The White Album, Abbey Road and Let it be.
So why is Rishikesh immensely popular as a Yoga destination in the world? Why do people, mostly, choose Rishikesh for meditation and self-realization?
Here are top five reasons why Rishikesh is quite popular as a yoga & meditation destination in the world –
- Rishikesh has Himalayas – One of the most crucial reasons why Rishikesh is immensely popular as a mediation destination is because it is surrounded by the Himalayas. The Himalayas are the most picturesque and gigantic mountains in India and have been the most sought-after place for visitors who wish to experience nature and divinity. The Himalayas is one of the key reasons why Rishikesh becomes as popular as a meditation place for spiritual seekers. Rishikesh is located right at the foothills of the Himalayas, and that’s why it becomes attractive for meditators. The majestic mountains not only offer amazing views to the visitors but also allow them to dive into deep contemplation and self-enquiry. The magnificence of the Himalayas arouses deep curiosity as well as vistas for sincere spiritual contemplation. A lot of visitors also take expeditions and mountaineering tours as a part of their spiritual journey.
- The Holy River “Ganges” – Rishikesh is also blessed by the Holy River Ganges. The Ganges is considered sacred by Hindus and worshipped by Hindus all over India. Ganga flows from the Himalayas and crosses entire North India, before submerging into the Bay of Bengal. During its course, it travels length and breadth of India, nurturing all the plains it traverses through. Riverbanks have been said to be ideal places for mediation for Rishis in a very long time. Ancient sages and Rishis of India have chosen river banks as ideal places to meditate for ages now. In all the rivers, Ganges holds a special place as also told by the Hindu scriptures. The Ganges gives a natural serenity and sacredness to Rishikesh, and hence, spiritual seekers from all over the world come here and deep-dive into self-contemplation and self-enquiry.
- Spiritual Atmosphere – Rishikesh has been blessed by Rishis and sages who chose this place for meditation and self-enquiry. Thanks to their deep spiritual practice, Rishikesh still possesses deep vibrations that can titillate someone’s spiritual cords. Sincere seekers from all over the world still feel the vibrations that help them rise up the spiritual ladder. The place is extremely peaceful and presents the perfect environment for deep meditation and self-contemplation. The place allows the perfect ambience for attaining great heights in spirituality and self-realization.
- Numerous Ashrams – Thanks to the spiritual atmosphere of Yoga and Meditation Ashram in Rishikesh, It houses hundreds of ashrams, and places of Vedic chanting, meditation and divinity. These ashrams are places where people spend time in self-contemplation, seeking divine connections, meditation etc. Thanks to these Ashrams, that Rishikesh today buzzes with deep spiritual air, and attracts spiritual seekers from all over the world. These ashrams offer comfortable and affordable stay options for people who wish to spend time in isolation and self-contemplation. The Ashram where the popular band Beatles came to learn transcendental meditation was Maharishi Mahesh yogi ashram aka ‘The Beatles Ashram’. Although it’s non-functional today, the ashram is still visited by thousands of visitors today. The ashram also houses a Beatles Art gallery and museum.
- Vedic Chanting – Vedic Chanting or mantra chanting has been one of the most important means of connecting with the divine, as per the Indian spirituality. Rishikesh is always abuzz with spiritual chanting, and Vedic chanting sent across by numerous temples and ashrams, as well as by various meditators who send across divine sounds to the universe and connect with the divine. Thanks to these chants, that Rishikesh is always buzzing with divinity and spirituality.
Due to these aforementioned reasons, Beatles also chose Yoga and Meditation in Rishikesh to experience the deep divine connection with self, and hence, wrote several famous albums thereafter. The place where Beatles meditated is today called Beatles Ashram located just a few meters away from our Yoga School. The Ashram is also called “84 Kutiya Ashram” as it houses 84 mediation caves for spiritual seekers.
Happy Yoga International Yoga School is a premier Yoga School located in Rishikesh, the Yoga capital of the world. We offer world-class Yoga Teacher Training Courses for sincere seekers at competitive rates. All our courses are affiliated to Yoga Alliance, USA. Make a booking today!